Six Fast Sun Facts For Kids
Teach Sun Protection At An Early Age!
One of the greatest gifts you can give your child is to follow healthy sun protection habits from the start. Because the more we learn about UV exposure, the more dangerous we know it is for babies and kids. Know the facts!
- The effects of UV exposure are cumulative, so even moderate exposure in childhood can cause skin damage and skin cancer later, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
- Kids’ eyes are more sensitive to UV rays. Sun exposure can actually cause cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Even just one blistering childhood sunburn can double a child’s risk of developing skin cancer, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation.
- Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer.
- While freckles are cute, and our culture encourages us to think of tans as “healthy,” they’re actually signs that the skin has been damaged.
- About 90% of non-melanoma skin cancer cases are sun-related. That means 90% of them could be prevented simply with proper sun protection!
And here’s the main thing: sun protection doesn’t have to be hard. Read our Simple Sun Protection Tips for Parents, and check out our Sun SmartiesTM kids UV clothing and gear.
Sun SmartiesTM Kids UV Clothing and Gear Can Help!
We developed our Sun SmartiesTM collection to make sun protection easier for parents. We’ve found that it isn’t always easy to find kids sun protection clothing, and some of what’s out there isn’t as cute, comfortable or well-made as it should be.
Check out our Sun Smarties clothing: from sporty kids rash guards and swim hoodies to high-coverage surf suits, you’ll find adorable ways to make sun protection fun.
Sun Smarties™ UPF 50+ Clothing, Beach Gear, Outdoor Furniture, & Play Equipment
UV,UPF, and SPF . . . What’s the Diff?
Amusement & Water Park Safety Tips
Simple Sun Protection Tips for Parents
View More Articles:
Published on Feb 12 2016
Last Updated on Sep 16 2021
Categories: Child Safety, Parenting Info